Friday, February 15, 2008

New Blog-Growing Up Harrison

I am so excited that I was asked to start a blog regarding our adventure of raising a child on the Autism Spectrum by the agency we have been working with.

This blog address is: www.harrisongrowsup.blogspot.com

I decided that it was a great idea and after chatting with my husband we decided it was a go. On that site we are hoping to get the word out about Autism and its effects on the immediate family as well as extended family and the community.

Did you know that the minimum out of pocket cost for the very basic of services and necessities of life is about $500 per month? I am excited to be sharing our experience so that others who are overwhelmed, stressed out, fed-up, and plain out of ideas on what to do next can be inspired! Hopefully you will drop by and take a little bit of information to others out there! Thanks everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first grandchild was diagnosed with autism a few months before his third birthday. Baxter turns 18 a week from today. It has been an interesting journey over these 15 years. Autism was not well known back then, and most people thought it was a form of retardation. My grandson has Asperger's Syndrome, so not only is he high functioning, but also savant. He could read at the age of two, but wasn't toilet-trained until he was five. Baxter has been mainstreamed and will graduate from high school this spring.

Only those of us who have experienced this roller coaster ride can understand the joy, tribulation, happiness, frustration, and adventure autism can bring to a family. My thoughts are with you and your son.

BTW, I'm also a CTMH consultant.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your new venture with the blog about Harrison. I actually think it's an absolutely fantastic idea and I think there are more people out there that would benefit from a personal outlook. You can find all the nitty gritty medical advice and statistics and all that online, but you can't always find another mother or family going through the same thing. I wish you the very best on your project. I think it's great.

Oh, and just like mihla, I'm a CTMH consultant too :D You can visit my blog here.